- Adoption Guide
- Available Pets
- Pet Adoption Specials
- Pet Loss
- Looking for a lost pet?
- Low Cost Spay & Neuter
- Microchip Clinics
- Vet Services/Info
- Surrendering Your Pet
- Barn Cat Program
- Community Cats
- Jimmy's Fund
- rescue & enforcement
- Shelter Tours
- About Us
Volunteer Application Process
Thank you for your interest in volunteering with the Kitsap Humane Society!
Before registering to become a KHS volunteer, please review the important guidelines noted below.
Requirements for volunteering:
Volunteer Program & Youth Volunteer Partners Program
· Volunteers must be at least 13 years old.
· Volunteers ages 13-15 must apply with a parent or legal guardian through the Youth Volunteer Partners Program.
· Volunteers ages 16 and 17 must have written approval from a parent or legal guardian.
· Volunteers must be able to commit a minimum of 8 hours/month for at least 6 months.
· There is a one-time, non-refundable volunteer registration fee, due prior to beginning service. This fee covers the volunteer t-shirt, lanyard and trainings.
- Individual volunteer fee is $30
- Youth Volunteer Partner fee is $40, which includes t-shirts and lanyards for the youth and the parent.
- Youth Volunteer Partner Team fee for one adult and two siblings is $50 for shirts and lanyards for all team members.
- If you submit your completed application by mail, please DO NOT include a check, cash or money order with your application.
Applying to become a KHS volunteer:
Step 1: Make sure you meet the requirements listed above.
Step 2: Click HERE to read descriptions of current volunteer opportunities.
Step 3: Please complete the Volunteer Application, specifying the position of your choice.
Click HERE to download the Volunteer Application and Agreement
Click HERE to download the Youth Volunteer Partners Application
Step 4: Download and read through the 2012 Volunteer Orientation Manual or the Youth Volunteer Orientation Manual. Click on each blue link below to open the documents.
Volunteer Program (ages 16+)
Youth Volunteer Partners Program (ages 13-15)
*Youth Volunteer Manual is currently being updated -- please e-mail email@example.com for more info
Step 5: Bring your completed application packet to the front desk at KHS during normal business hours (noon – 5pm, every day except Tuesdays).
If you submit your completed application by mail, please DO NOT include a check, cash or money order with your application.
Your volunteer fee is due by the time of your first volunteer shift.
Our volunteer department will respond via email so please write your email address clearly. Please indicate if you would prefer a phone call instead of an email.
It may take up to two weeks during peak application periods to get a response from our volunteer department. Please check your junk mail folder periodically to make sure our emails are not being filtered out of your inbox.
Q: What happens after I submit my application?
A: Once you have submitted your application to the shelter, our volunteer coordinator will email you with the upcoming orientation and training dates. You will sign up for the day that fits your schedule. After you attend the necessary trainings, you will be paired with a mentor volunteer for your first shift and you will be ready to get started! Your volunteer fee is due by the time of your first volunteer shift.
NOTE: Some positions require a set shift per week. Think about your availability and please write it on your application.
Q: Can I join the Kitsap Humane Society's Official Volunteer Facebook page?
A: AFTER you submit an application and attend Volunteer Orientation, we would love for you to join the KHS Volunteer Facebook page! This is a closed group page, and you must request to be added to the group. If you have not yet attended Volunteer Orientation, your request will not be approved.
NOT SURE YOU'RE READY TO BEGIN THE APPLICATION PROCESS? WANT MORE DETAILS ABOUT THE VOLUNTEER PROGRAM?
Send an e-mail to our Volunteer Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions you have. If you feel ready to start today, then please follow the steps above to begin the application process!
*Court-ordered community service hours should be scheduled through the Animal Care Coordinator 360-692-6977, ext. 1129, not through volunteer orientation.